Sunday 18 November 2007

I'm now a Stampin' Up Demonstrator

I'm officially a Stampin' Up demonstrator. I received my kit on Wed 14 Nov and I was so excited when I unpacked it and saw all those lovely craft goodies just sitting there begging to be played with.

The first thing I did was unpack everything, check off my invoice - ya nothing missing - and start looking and admiring the 5 stamp sets that I got in my kit. The next thing I did was mount my stamps and then coat them with a protective wood varnish, as I like to ensure that the wood is protected before I use them. I am a bit of a messy cleaner, as opposed to a messy stamper, so I like to ensure the wood is protected as best I can. Since I do two coats, I then got up early on Thu 15 Nov to complete the second coat before going to work, so I could use them that night once home from work.

Since I was going to the SU Regionals in Sydney on 17 Nov 07 and I wanted to participate in the card front swaps that they do, I used one of the designs I made at Robyn Jones' class on Tue night - see earlier post - and just worked on the colour scheme I wanted. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo before I went and gave them away. However, the project recipe for my card was:

Stamps:
Mostly Flowers (108874); Looks Like Spring (108864) and Wonderful Words (108963)

Cardstock:
Cranberry Crisp (108628); Buckaroo Blue (108624) and Whisper White (106549)

Ink:
Cranberry Crisp (107222)

Tools:
Stamp-a-mi-jig (101049)

See photo from Robyn Jones' card class for visual concept. The card was laid out as follows:

The base of the card I used Cranberry Crisp cardstock. I then mounted three 1.5" squares in Buckaroo Blue cardstock along the top of the base card. I then stamped one of the "Mostly Flowers" stamps with Cranberry Crisp ink onto Whisper White cardstock and punched them out with a 1.25" punch and mounted them onto the Buckaroo Blue squares. I then cut about a 1-7/8" strip of Buckaroo Blue card stock, mounted that towards the bottom of the base card. I stamped one of the flowers from "Looks Like Spring" stamp set into the top left and bottom right corners, using my stamp-a-mi-jig to aid in the placement, onto Whisper White cardstock. I then stamped Thankyou from the "Wonderful Words" stamp set into the middle of the Whisper White cardstock. I swooshed around all of the card stock in Cranberry Crisp ink prior to mounting it all..

These colours came together really well, I was really please with what I had made. However, not knowing what to expect at SU Regionals, I only made 13 card fronts, as I didn't have sufficient cardstock in the colours I had decided to use. I still got 13 card fronts back from other SU demonstrators, all of designs of stamp sets that I don't have or haven't used very much, so I'm really please with that. Most, if not all of the card fronts I received, have enticed me to want to go out and get the stamp sets I haven't got now that I can see what can be done with the stamp set. Now that I've been to one SU Regional, I am much more prepared about what goes on, so next time I will aim to make about 100-120, since there were about 110 people who attended. And, if I have card fronts left over, I can just use them in the cards I make and give away.

I'm going to aim to go to SU Convention in April 2008, which is to be held in Brisbane. I'm looking forward to that, if it is anything like Regionals, which I've been told it is but bigger and better. However, I'm not gonna make 400 or so card fronts, but will aim to do about 100, if I get myself organised enough.

I also got to meet Tracey Eaton, another SU demo who I have been corresponding with on The Scrappers Stash as part of the PCD. It was great to finally meet up and put the face to the name. If you are visiting here Tracey - HI.

Anyway, I'm excited to be part of the SU family and to see what lovely cards other demo's are making.
Cheers FiLoMa

No comments: